Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Prologue

I imagine that by this time tomorrow, I will be inconsiderately stretching across the two large Americans filling the seats next to me, craning my neck to watch Florida's palm trees wave goodbye out the small airplane window. I imagine that I will be climbed over and stepped on frequently as they waddle back and forth to the bathroom and my request for a cup of water will go ignored by the stewardess. But I imagine that I won't care a bit because in a matter of hours, I will be on Ecuadorian soil with four of the loveliest women I know.

Stay tuned to find out how long the idealism lasts. My guess is about the twentieth hour without sleep. But at the moment, my anticipation and excitement is impervious. I will be spending a month absorbing as much culture and Spanish as possible in Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia, and then finally settling down in Lima for the next five months. It's truly a dream.

In keeping with the idealistic theme of this post, I hope to give you all an update every week on my own personal odyssey. Love you all and thanks for the many prayers and well wishes.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to read this blog for the following reasons:
    1. There are much fewer people abroad this semester so hopefully I can actually keep up with reading your blog.
    2. I'm so excited for you! You will have such wonderful experiences!
    3. You're a wonderful writer and I can't wait to be continually impressed by your skills.
    4. I love you and I'm going to miss you.

    So, have fun; soak up every moment of your adventure as you can; and please...be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much energy, so much power in a delicate package. Hope you enjoy every moment in Shangri-la. We are stuck here with the two large men from the plane.
    Be safe, stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, take lots of pics. and vaya con Dios...
    Lots of love...Uncle Carl

    ReplyDelete